Week 8: MAVS ELISA, NP Therapeutic, "That's all folks" - Alexandra Kot
Alexandra Kot | Dr. Sandra Demaria
2026.07.20:
Today was less for lab work and more to prepare for my presentation tomorrow. I was also able to take ELISA samples for the MAVS knockout.
However, over the weekend, Dr. Shahbandi and I ran the timecourse ELISA for the two MLKL knockouts. The results of the assay are shown below in Figure 1.
These were some very exciting results. We did not know how much contribution the necroptosis pathway had toward the production of interferon, so to see a dramatic difference was very exciting. This change does make sense, as necroptosis is a very inflammatory form of cell death.
2026.07.21:
I presented! The first of the deliverables for the summer immersion program is finished. It was great to get everything together ahead of time and in one place. I was also able to catch the last of my lab meeting with the Demaria lab. As Dr. Demaria will be gone for a few weeks, all of the lab members reviewed their plans for the following weeks. It was great to get a review of all of the projects going on in the lab.
2026.07.22:
Today I collected samples for the Day 3 ELISA MAVS KO.
2026.07.23:
Today I collected samples for the Day 4 ELISA MAVS KO. Samples are all frozen in the -80C freezer to maintain interferon integrity. The ELISA will be performed later next week.
2026.07.24:
I took my last and final sample for the timecourse ELISA today. Maxine and Ashkan will come in tomorrow to take the day 6 sample and run the ELISA. I have to freeze down my MAVS knockout cells so they can be recultured when needed. After immersion, Dr. Shahbandi may correspond with me on a p53-targeting nanoparticle project, which would be unbelievably cool.
I have to say that I did enjoy the immersion program more than I thought I would. I was very nervous coming in, not only about adjusting to living in the city but also wanting to make the most of my time here. But I did see interesting clinic days, cool surgeries, and I was put on a project that introduced me to the field of immunology, gave me skills I will use in my own thesis project, and that will have a real-life impact. It is these kinds of experiences where we are placed outside of our comfort zones and are forced to experience new things, which allow us to recontextualize our own lives and expand our narrow and focused day-to-day. For everyone, but especially for engineers, it is imperative to resist the urge to live only within our small bubbles. And on a more lighthearted note, the city isn't so scary now, and I can run a mean western blot.
I would like to give a big thank you to Dr. Sandra Demaria for agreeing to take me on in her lab this summer. And to Dr. Ashkan Shahbandi for providing me with a meaningful summer project that kept me engaged in the lab, for taking the time to explain the concepts that pertained to my project, and for coming in with me over the weekend to run assays. To Maxine Chou, who taught me how to run Westerns and ELISAs, who answered all of my questions no matter how silly, and who came with me on walks to various coffee shops. To the rest of the Demaria lab for welcoming me into the lab, being available to answer questions, ensuring I was fed on lab meeting days, and always being down for a chat. And a big thank you to Dr. Kelly Gillen and Dr. Carly Skudin for organizing our immersion experience and always being a solid point of contact.
Comments
Post a Comment