Week 7: Manav Surti
This week entailed a lot of planning and logistics for next week and the months ahead.
I planned out my last OCA experiment that is happening early next week, and I am hopefully going to get to see an old school total knee arthroplasty. This is unlike the TKAs and UKAs that I've seen Dr. Gomoll has done thus far. Dr. Gomoll is a huge proponent for the MAKOplasty, which is the robotic knee surgery in which patient MRI and CT data is calibrated for the surgery. This results in Dr. Gomoll shaving away small layers of articular cartilage and the underlying osseous component in order to then make holes to drill and fill in metal implants. This means that there is no intact articular cartilage left after the surgery. On the other hand, if done the classical way, a TKA is done using surgical guides to remove entire portions and chunks of cartilage with bone attached. This, after the surgery, results in a tissue portion, straight out of the patient right after surgery, that is similar in shape and characteristic to the cadaveric donor tissue that I am receiving to do mitochondrial (MT) testing.
This is super important because we want to see if the cadaveric donor tissue that we are MT testing is phenocopied by patient osteoarthritic (OA) tissue. If both of these tissues are mitochondrially compromised, then by putting cadaveric donor tissue into a patient, we are essentially setting a patient up for long term, biological symptoms of OA. I hope to, thus, collect tissue from Dr. Rodeo, who primarily does the classical method of TKA, leaving intact OA patient tissue. I do not have plans to collect tissue by next week, because it feels like too quick of a turnaround time, but I hope to in the coming months. This will hopefully be a great clinical and translational thrust to my normally, basic science, research perspectives.
Comments
Post a Comment