Week 7: Katelyn

 This week was the seventh week of immersion and I have continued to experience a variety of opportunities this week.

For research this week, I started marking the anatomical landmarks used in the robotic surgery plan. From these anatomical landmarks, the femurs will be cut to mimic those made during surgery and then will be analyzed for BMD. 

During the clinic this week, I saw a wide array of patients including bone health work-ups, pain follow-ups, post-ops, and others. One case that stood out was a twice failed THA. This particular patient had a THA and a THA revision following an implant failure. Specifically, this patient previously received radiation treatment to the pelvis for gynecologically related cancer. Due to this radiation, the pelvic bone has significantly weakened as evidenced by two THA failures. The acetabular components have sunken into the pelvic cavity. This bone weakening significantly impacts possible treatment options for the patient. The potential treatment option would be to use a coned hemi-pelvis prosthesis which anchors into the ilium to avoid the weakness in the acetabular component.

In the OR this week, I saw THAs. At this point, I have seen these procedures multiple times, but it is interesting to see what varies between patients. Notably, I saw a THA conversion from previous fixations. While the general procedure is similar, it varies from typical THAs in the sense that the previous fixation must be removed first before proceeding with the THA. Additionally, these conversions sometimes involve using cemented implants to fill any holes left from previous fixation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Eddie Wei - Multimodal Endoscope

Week One: Eddie Wei

Week 1- iqra