Week 7 - Hannah Sheffield

 This week, I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. Girardi's, cardiothoracic surgeon, Aortic Valve Repair procedure. This was an open heart surgery where the patient's heart would stop, so that the clinician can replace the diseased aortic valve with an artificial valve along with a graft. When the patient's heart is stopped, the perfusionist work with the Heart-Lung machine to ensure that circulation is maintained through the rest of the organs. The surgery required a lot of precise suturing technique to ensure that the artificial valve stays in place. Afterwards, the patient's heart starts back up to ensure that there is adequate circulation. 

As for research, I was able to make a lot of progress in optimizing the delay. I needed to switch to a different method, called Grid Search, where the model is given several timepoints, and it needs to guess which timepoint provides an optimized delay. We made a lot of headway in the code, and this weekend, I will be bulk running the cases. Looking forward to presenting the on-going work that is occurring in the lab.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Eddie Wei - Multimodal Endoscope

Week One: Eddie Wei

Week 1- iqra