Week 6 - Mary

I just completed my sixth week of the summer immersion program at Weill Cornell. Working under the supervision of Dr. Prince, I continued segmenting CT and MRI images to obtain kidney volume measurements and finalized the inclusion and exclusion criteria for our retrospective review study. As a reminder, this study will examine how kidney volume changes over time in ADPKD patients following transplantation, and how these volumetric changes correlate with kidney function. Finalizing the criteria has yielded a defined cohort of qualifying patients, representing a meaningful milestone after several weeks of refinement and organization.

This week, I also realized that most published work addresses kidney transplantation and its effect on native kidney volume. However, ADPKD can independently cause severe hepatic enlargement, in some cases warranting liver transplantation without concurrent kidney transplantation. To my knowledge, no study has examined the effect of isolated liver transplantation on native kidney volume in this patient population. This appears to be a natural extension of our current research study, and I hope to explore this gap further over the next two weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Eddie Wei - Multimodal Endoscope

Week 8 - Eddie Wei: Final Image Classification AI Model Results and Ending Thoughts

Week One: Eddie Wei