Week 5 - Iqra Sajid

This week was definitely one of the busiest weeks of my experience so far, probably because it was the week of the Fourth of July holiday. The EP labs were very busy and often running behind schedule, which made it difficult for me to work on my research. Since the system I use for research is also needed for procedures, I had limited access to it throughout most of the week. I was able to get a little research done, but not as much as I had hoped.

Because of this, I spent a lot of time in the clinic, which turned out to be a great learning experience. I really enjoyed seeing the outpatient side of electrophysiology and learning more about patient care outside of the procedure room. It was interesting to interact with patients, hear about their symptoms, and understand what led them to need an ablation. Every patient had a different story and different treatment needs, which helped me better understand how complex these heart conditions can be.

I also had the opportunity to shadow one of Dr. Spector’s procedures involving his product, DermiSphere. DermiSphere is a biodegradable patch that can be used to cover and support areas after a tumor has been removed. During the procedure, Dr. Spector used it on a patient’s finger and on an area of her leg. It was very interesting to observe the procedure and learn more about how new medical products can be used to help with healing and recovery. Overall, even though I was not able to spend as much time on research this week, the clinical experiences and procedures I observed made it a valuable and educational week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Eddie Wei - Multimodal Endoscope

Week One: Eddie Wei

Week 1- iqra