Week 4 - Mary
I just finished my fourth week of the summer immersion program at Weill Cornell, and the balance has shifted more toward research. Most of my time went toward refining my project and carefully reviewing the literature to identify the specific research gaps. The further I get into it, the more I am struck by how much remains unknown in the ADPKD world, particularly around what happens after a kidney transplant, which is what my project is trying to address.
A large part of the week was spent labeling imaging data, which turned out to be more engaging than I'd anticipated. Moving through the scans sequentially, you can clearly see the disease progress in real time. Additionally, labeling the imaging data also gave me a much better sense of the practical differences between MRI and CT. The MRI images are noticeably less sharp, but they still capture the same clinically relevant information while avoiding the radiation exposure that comes with CT. For a disease like ADPKD, where you're tracking changes over years or even decades, that distinction matters considerably, and it's a big part of why MRI has become the more practical long-term option for monitoring kidney volume.
Comments
Post a Comment