Week 4- Iqra Sajid

I had the opportunity to observe a hernia repair surgery, and it was a very interesting experience! It was especially exciting to watch how the clinicians and residents used the robotic system during the procedure. They were able to guide the instruments through the scopes with a lot of control and precision.

The patient undergoing this procedure had previously experienced an aortic aneurysm. Because of that, the stitches from an earlier surgery were not tight enough, which created small gaps. Over time, parts of the bowel became stuck in these gaps, leading to many adhesions. During the surgery, the clinician had to carefully cut through these adhesions to free the bowel. Watching this process made me realize how complex these cases can be and how much attention to detail is required.

I also learned something new about the materials used in surgery. After removing the adhesions, the surgical team placed a mesh to prevent the bowel from sticking again in the future. I had originally assumed that this mesh would break down over time, like many types of stitches do. However, I learned that the mesh used in this case is not degradable and is meant to stay in the body permanently to provide long-term support. This was surprising to me and helped me better understand the different tools and materials used during procedures.

In addition to observing the surgery, I spent a large part of my time working on case-related tasks. This included finding pressure information for cases in Pruka and downloading case data from the CARTO system. While these tasks were not difficult, they required a lot of time because there were over 600 cases to go through. Even though the work was repetitive, it gave me a better understanding of how clinical data is organized and managed behind the scenes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Eddie Wei - Multimodal Endoscope

Week One: Eddie Wei

Week 1- iqra