Week 3: Seo-Ho Lee/Dr. Thomas Fahey
This week, I spent more time in the lab learning different kinds of cell culture. I am currently expanding my EndoC beta cells to grow as many cells as possible for downstream sequencing experiments in the lab. I also started culturing hESCs this week: MEL1 and H1 cell lines. So far, I am just focusing on changing their media (they require daily media changes) and passaging them to create my own frozen stock. I am also shadowing lab members as they perform beta cell differentiation from hESCs. Next week, I will be practicing hESC differentiation into macrophages to learn the protocol and start establishing a lab stock of hESC-derived macrophages.
On the clinical side of the week, I watched a hemithyroidectomy that was performed due due to the presence of a large nodule and goiter. I was able to bring Mary in to watch Dr. Fahey's surgery with me, and we had the opportunity to touch the thyroid after it was taken out. The thyroid lobe was very large (~8 cm) due to the goiter, and had a bumpy texture likely due to the nodules in it. Next week, I will watch a few more robot surgeries and potentially shadow the surgeries of the other endocrinologists in the department. In clinic, I sat in on a patient's ultrasound appointment three months after Dr. Fahey performed a pulsed field ablation procedure on her nodule. The patient's nodule had shrunk significantly over the past three months, and the doctors will continue monitoring her progress in the following months. I also sat in on Dr. Fahey discussing plans for surgery with another patient who had an enlarged adrenal gland. This was my first time seeing how doctors discuss the surgical plan of action with a patient, so it was interesting seeing the types of questions that patients asked during these kinds of meetings.
Comments
Post a Comment