Week 3 - Hannah Sheffield

 This week was a nice blend of shadowing and researching. 

Shadowing

On Monday, I shadowed an electrophysiology procedure with Jada and Smrithi. We specifically shadowed a Fara-pulse left atrium ablation procedure. This procedure is typically given to patients with history of atrial fibrillation. The procedure occurs when the florets of the catheter emit an electric pulse to the targeted myocardial tissue to induce cell death. This is used rather than traditional ablation procedures that use radiofrequency or cyroablation because it does not make direct contact with the myocardial tissue. Effectively, the procedure ablates the left atria by manipulating the circuitry of the palpitating heart.

Research

This week, I ran the patient cases through the training Python script for the Patlak model. I also started developing a new model as a next iteration to our current working Patlak model. The model that I am developing is a two compartment exchange model between the vasculature and breast tumor. The previous Patlak model shows the irreversible flow of contrast agent from the vasculature to the breast tumor. The iteration that I am working on is the TCXM, which is a reversible exchange of flow of the contrast agent that measures the change in contrast agent concentration for perfusion and vessel permeability. I finished drafted the complex mathematical equations used to develop a TCXM. Next week, I will debug the code, and hope to have a working model by the end of next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3: Eddie Wei - Multimodal Endoscope

Week One: Eddie Wei

Week 1- iqra